Monday, September 22, 2014

WeMo and HomeKit

With the release of iOS 8, I had only two things on my mind: HealthKit and HomeKit. If you've read the news, you know how HealthKit is probably going for me, so that leaves me with HomeKit. Before the announcement of HomeKit, I bought about $150 in WeMo switches with Amazon credits I got for Christmas.

When HomeKit was announced, I was so happy that I bought those WeMo switches. When I go to bed, I could simply say, "Hey, Siri! I'm going to sleep!" and all of my lights would turn off, all without touching my phone. A dream come true...

Apple's Partners for HomeKit from WWDC 2014
...or so I thought.

Watching the WWDC keynote for another two minutes, I found the sponsors list. It seemed like every major smart home brand was up there except for WeMo and Nest. Even iHome was up there, and they just make speaker systems!

When iOS 8 was released, I took matters into my own hands and I emailed Belkin about the issue. Here's what they wrote:

"I don't have anything to share on that front at this time. We're partners with Apple on a number of other fronts so we have had discussions, but nothing concrete at this time."
- Leah Polk
So for all the WeMo owners dying for HomeKit integration with WeMo, here's what I have to say. We can only hope that this feature comes soon enough. It seems that it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. If Belkin wants to stay on top of the game, they'd better integrate it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!