Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A Dimminishing Need for Anti-Virus

Before you raise your pitchforks, I’m not suggesting you delete your anti-virus software. I’m just stating that it’s less important now than it was 10 years ago. When McAfee reigned supreme, the biggest worry was having your computer hit with some form of virus. However, the computer evolved and society did with it. Our important stuff is in the cloud, not on local drives. Everything important is with us, but only protected by a username and password. That’s why people are getting more worried about hacks on our internet accounts and not about viruses these days. It’s also why I try to limit how many accounts I’ve created, although at this point, it doesn’t matter for me, since they’re inevitable. If I use the same combination on a site that could easily be hacked, it’s easy to gain access to a site that wouldn’t be easy to hack. That’s why we need to have two-factor authentication on as many sites as possible. That’s what anti-virus has evolved into. 

1 comment:

  1. So I shouldn't make 10 gmail accounts, 50 github accounts, etc???

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!