Thursday, January 25, 2018

How to Make HomePod Compete with Alexa

Tim Cook has been cited to say that Apple welcomes competition and that HomePod has some features that differentiate itself from the competition. Which, to some subjective sense, is true. But I wouldn't say they make me buy a $349 HomePod versus a $149 Echo Plus. So here are some ideas that would make HomePod different than the competition. HomePod is in the Apple ecosystem and Apple is all about continuity. Apple should implement a NFC sensor in the HomePod, so if I want to handoff my audio from my iPhone to my HomePod. Obviously, Bluetooth would still be a connection option, but being able to quickly switch audio with a physical tap would be nice. Building on that, if the HomePod could wirelessly charge my iPhone, Apple Watch, or AirPods, that would make it a nice smart hub centerpiece to any house. Finally, iBeacon is a technology Apple created a few years ago to help determine indoor location. If Apple could implement iBeacon to help determine which room I'm in, Apple has a lot of potential. I could have automations go off by walking into a room. I could ask Siri to turn on "the fan" or "the light." It would know which fan I'm referring to because it knows what room I'm in. If I had multiple HomePods or Apple TVs, it would know the best way to stream audio or video and where to listen for "Hey, Siri." I think these ideas would set HomePod apart from the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!