Thursday, October 23, 2014

Rite Aid Not Accepting Mobile NFC Payments Anymore

Causing the biggest geek riot against a company since Fitbit announced that they won't support HealthKit, Rite Aid has stopped accepting mobile payments from Apple Pay and Google Wallet after accepting them initially. Josh Hundall notes that the terminal specifically said that Apple Pay wasn't supported. This means that it is intentional that Rite Aid isn't accepting Apple Pay anymore.
Today, Allison asked me to pick up a few things on my way home from the office, and I’m a major nerd, so naturally I was all too happy to oblige. I was equally disappointed, then, when my transaction was declined with a message on the terminal informing me that Apple Pay was not supported. The terminal mentioned Apple Pay by name. So the system is smart enough to know about Apple Pay and to decide not to take it.
- Josh Hundall 
Rite Aid hasn't commented on the matter, making it seem like an intentional removal instead of an accident. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite tweets on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!