Saturday, February 23, 2019

Why I Trust Amazon More Than Google

Occasionally, you hear the debate between Amazon Echo and Google Home. Which is the better smart speaker? And it eventually boils down to someone bringing up the issue of privacy. Some people say they trust Google before Amazon and others say vice versa. As in the title, I would trust Amazon with my data before Google if given the choice. With Google, it's made very clear that you are the product. Google makes way more money using your data than they ever could selling a product given their operation. Meanwhile, Amazon's operation relies heavily on selling physical products, so you have a better picture of where Amazon gets a good chunk of their income from. In addition, they run Amazon Web Services, which powers so many web-based operations around the world.

This isn't to say that Echos are completely innocent. But, I would trust my data with an Echo before a Google Home. What's the worst an Echo can do? Recommend me dog treats on Amazon after hearing mentions of a dog? Google knows every detail about you to produce a unique digital footprint across every site you go to. A microphone in your house leaves no stone unturned for Google. In short, are any of these smart speakers completely innocent? Likely not, but I believe that some can be trusted over others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!