Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Potential of Foldable Phones

Samsung unveiled their Galaxy Fold phone today. As the name suggests, the phone is foldable. It also starts at $2,000. I think it's funny when people called the original iPhone expensive, but now phones costing $1,000 isn't unusual. But, let's put price aside. Modular phones were hyped up, but quickly died off. Phones aren't about compromise, but about tailoring the experience around a small screen. But I do think Samsung's execution of their Galaxy Fold is a good one. In practice, I think it would be cool to use a phone-sized screen on the go, sit down, and switch to a more tablet-sized screen. It would make tasks like internet browsing, reading, and video watching more enjoyable. Of course, that all relies on making sure the apps are compatible. I feel it would work better in an iOS environment, just because Apple is really good with making their apps work on multiple screen sizes without much extra work from the developer. Will it catch on? I have no idea. I think the phone looks pretty ugly when it's folded. I also think it may be self-deprecating. Aside from being easier to fit in my pocket, why not just buy a 7-inch tablet and have cellular on it? If users find themselves only wanting the unfolded form, they'd probably just go for a phablet. Samsung does seem to be testing the waters with this phone, which is why it was announced alongside the Galaxy S10. If the Fold concept flops and people don't end up buying it, the mainline of Galaxy phones won't be affected. I am looking forward to the reviews of the Galaxy Fold when it comes out April 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!