Thursday, February 18, 2016

My Opinion On The Apple "Backdoor Dispute"

You've probably heard about the dispute between Apple and the FBI. If you haven't, here's a quick recap of everything regarding this.

Let's start at the very beginning, shall we?

A few years back, some celebrities had their photos leaked from their iOS devices. Apple came under huge fire for this (I'm pretty sure they just had really bad passwords/password hints.). In the years following, Apple put a HUGE emphasis on the security on their devices. Makes sense, right?

December 2, 2015, a terrorist attack occurred in San Bernardino. Without getting too detailed, one of the shooter's iPhones were recovered and the FBI tried to unlock it. Unfortunately for them, the security was so air-tight, the FBI couldn't crack it. A federal judge has ordered Apple to intentionally create a security flaw in iOS to allow the FBI to unlock iPhones for investigation. Apple refused to do this because there could be security risks to their customers.

People are pretty split on this issue. Facebook and Twitter side with Apple while every politician ever sides with the government. What follows is my opinion and my solution. Keep in mind that this is my opinion and I believe that everyone is entitled to their own.

Personally, I side with Apple on this, not because of any bias and not because I'm worried about the FBI looking at my phone for investigation. I side with Apple on this because I don't want any hackers getting my phone. Microsoft has done this years ago and I believe many hackings can be attributed to this. With this security flaw, whatever it could be, hackers, black hat or white hat, will find a way. I feel that a lot of people underestimate what hackers are capable of. Especially if the government had phones affected by this. This would backfire against our own government, leaving them susceptible tot their own creation. It is not worth putting every person with an iOS device at risk to retrieve information that might not exist... But I do have a middle ground solution.

Apple, along with other smartphone creators, should create flashable operating systems that work with all of their phones that will unlock their phones. Each distribution of this operating system must be approved by the FBI and Apple, similar to a safety deposit box (Y'know how the boxes need two keys to open?). Apple can figure out the technical details.

If you side with Apple as well, be sure to sign the digital petition at the official White House website. We have until March 18, 2016 to reach 100,000 signatures. If not, that's fine too.