Sunday, June 24, 2018

To C or Not To C?

USB-C is growing quickly in adoption. Apple has taken the most aggressive approach, as they usually do, by removing almost all instances of USB-A from their Mac lineup. However, iOS remains on Lightning. The two connectors are very similar in shape. They're both reversible. Lightning is a slight bit smaller, but USB-C has already been adopted in other thin smartphones as well. The big question on minds is if Apple will replace Lightning with USB-C. I think Apple should. The inclusion of wireless charging makes it slightly easier for iPhone 8 and iPhone X users to transition to their next phone. While there's nothing particularly wrong about Lightning, I think it's good to have iPhones on the same playing field with other smartphones when USB-C is fully mainstream. Today, you can ask someone for a charging cable, and in my experience, a vast majority of respondents pull out a Lightning cable. My friend who has an Android needed a cable but everyone had Lightning. Luckily, I had my portable wireless charger that they could use. Think how the Qi standard can be cross platform, but with a cable. I've used Windows USB-C chargers on my Mac, something that would be impossible a few years ago. Hopefully, USB-C adoption will continue to rise with the announcement of an iPhone with USB-C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!