Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Aging Original Apple Watch

I was always a watch person. I've worn a watch as long as I can remember. So when Apple announced the Apple Watch, I was intrigued. Not having to change my watch for daylight savings time ever again was a major plus. Having workouts and apps were the main selling point for me though. Apple heavily relied on advertising apps on the Apple Watch for its marketing. Upon receiving my Apple Watch, I noticed that each app had a bit of lag to it. Coupled with the small screen, most apps were not worth my time when I could get a richer experience from my iPhone. watchOS 2 promised snappier app load times, which did next to nothing for the original Apple Watch. Today, apps are practically unusable. Many developers have pulled their watchOS apps. My app screen is flooded with apps I never use. While newer models may handle them better, the original Apple Watch didn't live up anywhere close to what Apple advertised it as. (Now there's a class-action lawsuit I could get behind.) My workouts app freezes for a solid minute or two after launching. It takes just shy of five minutes to fully power on the device. Siri randomly activates and doesn't generate an answer for over thirty seconds. It really does make you wonder how Apple let Apple Watch out when it has the processor of a potato. With the original Apple Watch being swept into unsupported territory, it seems owners like me will be left with no choice but to either upgrade or be stuck with older software. I was genuinely hoping for this watch to last five to six years, something most Apple products can easily attain. While my Apple Watch is certainly still usable, it's unfortunate that it won't support watchOS 5. For the time being, I don't have plans to upgrade, but it is frustrating that Apple left us in the dust on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!