Thursday, October 5, 2017

Quick Impressions of the Google Pixel 2

Yesterday, Google announced some new products. Most notably, the Google Pixel 2. To me, nothing revolutionary was announced. Last year, Google poked fun at the iPhone 7 for not having a headphone jack, only to follow in its steps one generation later. They also made their own AirPods that also cost $159. These are attached to each other, similar to the Powerbeats3 Wireless. The original Google Pixel also barely had better camera specs than its competition, but used it to boast its phone more. The same thing here, with Apple and Samsung tied in the DxOMark test for smartphones with a score of 94. The Google Pixel 2 gets a 98. It's clear we're reaching the threshold for camera optics on a phone. Eventually, it's just going to be more megapixels and less emphasis on optics. It's not that I want to bash on the Google Pixel 2. I waited about 8 months for this phone, hoping to use it as a development phone. But I'm not seeing anything revolutionary. The only benefit I see is a cheaper original Pixel. If there's one last thing I wish to mention, I wish they kept the "Really Blue" color and didn't replace it with "Kinda Blue." Really Blue made the phone look like a blueprint, perfect for a developer phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!