Sunday, October 23, 2016

iOS 10: Maps

Booking a table using Apple Maps
Proactive suggesting directions
Apple Maps has had a rough start, but in iOS 10, I found that the Maps app has finally grown into a full-fledged navigation system and then some. The Maps app uses the cohesion of the Apple ecosystem, the functionality of third-party apps, and the intelligence of Apple's Proactive technology to create an amazing experience. Here's a scenario that happened to me recently: after a family gathering, we decided to go out to lunch. I pulled out my phone and reserved a table using OpenTable through the Maps app. My Maps widget updates and adds the restaurant's location to its list. It also kept the location of my car. I could choose to drive, walk, use public transit, or request a ride sharing service, like Uber, for my transportation method. While giving me directions to the restaurant, my Apple Watch tapped me whenever the directions were updated or a turn was coming up. Different haptics tapped my wrist as I got near a turn. It was pretty intuitive. Anyways, I feel like Maps has finally redeemed itself after its initial issues. I would definitely recommend trying out Maps again. I never really get the chance to use navigation since I typically drive from Point A to Point B everyday, and will use my car's built-in GPS system. But now that I have done this, I will probably use the Maps app whenever I get the chance to go somewhere new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!